The Academic Health Economists’ Blog hosts the Health Economics Journal Club. The meeting times vary; click here to see details of upcoming meetings. Discussions last 1 hour and take place on various platforms, such as Twitter and Google Hangouts, as well as on the blog. Everybody is welcome to contribute.
How it works
The Health Economics Journal Club primarily discusses working papers, and is lead by a discussant. In some cases a guest author may be invited. A discussant will be required to write a short summary of their chosen paper and a short discussion, totalling no more than 1000 words. If there is a paper you would like to discuss and you are interested in leading a meeting, or if you would like to contribute in any other way, please get in touch.
To join in with the discussion on Twitter, simply add the hashtag #HEJC to your tweets. A convenient way to do this and keep track of the conversation is to join the #HEJC Twubs page. For more information on how to use hashtags, visit the Twitter help pages. For personalised transcripts and analytics, visit our page on Symplur.
Why should I volunteer to be a discussant?
We all read academic literature. Many of us probably wish we made the time to read more. Volunteering as a discussant is a good way of committing oneself to thoroughly reading and analysing the contents of a paper. This is particularly valuable for students wanting to develop their skills in critical appraisal. Furthermore, publishing on the blog is a good way to gain recognition with colleagues. You may also be able to make a substantive contribution to the author’s work-in-progress and help advance the field, with minimal effort.
- #HEJC Transcript – 1st October 2012
- #HEJC Transcript – 5th November 2012
- #HEJC Transcript – 3rd December 2012
- #HEJC Transcript – 7th January 2013
- #HEJC Transcript – 4th February 2013
- #HEJC Transcript – 4th March 2013
- #HEJC Transcript – 1st April 2013
- #HEJC Transcript – 6th May 2013
- #HEJC Transcript – 3rd June 2013
- #HEJC Transcript – 17th October 2013
- #HEJC Transcript – 24th October 2014
- #HEJC Transcript – 26th February 2015